For more extensive artist's bio, articles and list of exhibitions, visit artist(s) website(s). Many of the images displayed on this site are copyrighted, and are used here only for purposes of education or critical review. All rights are reserved by the artists who created the works referenced herein.

Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks. Simonides

Sabi Van Hermet

Sabi Van Hermet






Sabi van Hemert is a Dutch artist, the sculptures are a fusion between child and animal. They have a quality of alternately denying and confirming what you think and what you see. Because it is not clear what you are seeing immediately, the relation between viewer and sculpture is more complex.

"I create an image from clay or synthetic material, letting myself be led by thoughts, emotions and associations.

What do I see in the shape, what sort of feeling do I get, or what does it remind me, what am I saying with this? And, is this what I want to make?

Once the image is finished, I cover it entirely or partially-either with a "skin" or a differential material. The choice of skin depends on the image.

In contrast to the spontaneity at the beginning of the work process, when I make the skin I work in a very structured manner.

For weeks, with great patience and discipline, I cut, paste or prick, following self-Imposed rules Such As, "all forms in The Same rhythm" or "all lines continued onward.

This precision, and the Particular materials I choose, help to give my work its alienating yet sensual, tough yet vulnerable character. "



Training

Willem de Kooning Academy, Rotterdam (1996-2001), study fine art




'' I create images that evoke associations with people and animals. I imagine the balance between the many conflicting feelings and thoughts that a man can have. Balance between opposites as attractive / repulsive, happy / sad or fear / security. My pictures have something in them that causes you to think what to see and feel that it gives you, and then confirm again denied.''

Sabi van Hemert












Sabi van Hemert, woont en werkt in Rotterdam
Sabi van Hemert maakt beelden die associaties oproepen met mensen en dieren.

Vaak zijn ze op het eerste gezicht humorvol en/of vertederend en lijken daardoor zeer toegankelijk.

Maar ze hebben vooral iets in zich dat hetgeen je er in denkt te zien, en het gevoel dat het je geeft, weer ontkent en vervolgens weer bevestigt.

Omdat niet direct duidelijk is wat je ziet ontstaat er een meer complexe relatie tussen toeschouwer en beeld.

“Ik begin met het vormen van een beeld uit bijvoorbeeld kunststof of klei, geleid door gedachten, associaties en emoties.

Wat zie ik in de vorm, wat voor een gevoel geeft het mij, wat zeg ik hiermee? En wil ik dat dan ook maken?

Het ontstane beeld geef ik een ‘huid’ van een ander materiaal. In tegenstelling tot de spontaniteit bij het begin van het werkproces, ga ik hier heel gestructureerd te werk.

Wekenlang knip, plak of prik ik met zelf opgelegde regels als: ‘alle vormen in een zelfde ritme’ of ‘alle lijnen laten doorlopen’.

Om zo beelden te krijgen die tegengestelde emoties oproepen, met een vervreemdend, sensueel, stoer en kwetsbaar karakter.”





another one from my ''dead'' facebook page

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels

Related Posts with Thumbnails