For more extensive artist's bio, articles and list of exhibitions, visit artist(s) website(s). Many of the images displayed on this site are copyrighted, and are used here only for purposes of education or critical review. All rights are reserved by the artists who created the works referenced herein.

Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks. Simonides

Michael Grimaldi



Michael Grimaldi has studied painting and drawing at the Art Students League of New York, the National Academy, the New York Studio School, the Ecole Albert Defois and conducted independent studies in anatomy and dissection at Facultad Medicina, Argentina and Drexel University.

Mr. Grimaldi has taught figure drawing and painting at the School of Visual Arts, the National Academy, the Water Street Atelier, Studio Incamminati, Studio 126 and the Grand Central Academy of Art. Mr. Grimaldi currently teaches Drawing from Life at the Art Students League of New York and the Janus Collaborative School of Art, which he cofounded in 2008.

Exhibitions include the National Academy Museum, the de Young Museum, the Arnot Museum, the Arkansas Art Center, the Naples Museum of Art, the Forbes Magazine Collection, Arcadia Gallery, Forum Gallery, Hirschl & Adler Gallery and the John Pence Gallery.

Awards include The Edward G. McDowell Travel Grant (1993), Stacey Foundation Grant (1998, 1999), The Elizabeth Greenshields Foundation Grant (1999, 2002), Forbes Foundation Residency Fellowship (2002) and an American Academy in Rome Affiliated-Fellowship (2007).



Artist's Statement
After searching in vain for a classical teacher of painting and drawing, I was fortunate to find some instructors that could not only paint and draw but also could verbalize and demonstrate their ideas and skills. These giving professors opened my eyes to a whole new world, encouraging me while teaching me the fundamentals that will remain with me throughout my lifetime. I feel that the early education an artist receives is imperative to his or her underlying skill and work ethic. Being convinced that many of my progressive steps in drawing and painting are the result of my training, I feel it is only fair to pass on what I have learned.

I teach because I believe that everyone must be given the chance to see, to develop, to learn the basics, which will serve to translate the vision into reality. Also, since the learning process never ends, I, too, learn from my teaching experiences. If I am able to help someone of the difficult path of creating, I feel that I am passing on an invaluable service that has been passed on to me. If I can convey my analytical work process to others - adding my own collective views and ideas to those which I've been taught - I feel that I will make an important contribution to that which is essential to the continuance and progression of classical/realist art in the next century.


source


more works here












© Michael Grimaldi

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels

Related Posts with Thumbnails