For more extensive artist's bio, articles and list of exhibitions, visit artist(s) website(s). Many of the images displayed on this site are copyrighted, and are used here only for purposes of education or critical review. All rights are reserved by the artists who created the works referenced herein.

Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks. Simonides

Amanda Shelsher












“My sculptures have always reflected my life and the current journey that I am on. These intimate works celebrate the intricacies of human nature; they look for an understanding of self and the world around us.
My work draws inspiration from my experiences as a mother and watching the growth of my two young children. These sculptures explore the relationship between motherhood and the life-cycles of nature by using plants and motifs from the natural world as metaphors for life.

Each piece explores concepts of human instinctive, protective and nurturing nature, as well as notions of home, suburbia, domesticity and growth.
Many of these new works depict houses in my local area that I see daily.I choose to tell stories about my suburb as it challenges me to make choices: either to live in an inner urban environment, or to follow my desire for a closer relationship to ‘mother nature’ and move to a rural environment for a better quality of life for my family. I am always considering the ideal future environment for my children and hoping they can inherit a love and respect of nature.

Amanda Shelsher














AMANDA SHELSHER
 Born: Western Australia 1971


EDUCATION

1992: Graduate Diploma of Education (Visual Arts).Curtin University of Technology, Western Australia.
1989-91: Bachelor of Arts - Visual Arts. Ceramics. Curtin University of Technology, Western Australia.



AWARDS / GRANTS

2009 Department of Culture and the Arts. Arts flight grant to Adelaide
2006 City of Wanneroo Art Award. Sculpture Prize, Perth, Western Australia.
2005 Gold Coast International Ceramic Award – Acquisition for Gold Coast City Art Gallery
2004 ArtsWA. Artflight grant, Canberra, Australia.
2001 Port Hacking Potters Group 40th Award, Sydney, Australia.
2001 Townsville Ceramic Competition, Queensland, Australia.
2000 ArtsWA. Artflight grant, Sydney, Australia
2000 Town of Vincent - Art Award Ceramic Commendation, Western Australia
1999 Town of Vincent - Art Award, Western Australia
1998 Victoria Park Sculpture Award, Western Australia
1998 and 1997 Jah Roc Sculpture Prize York Art Awards, Western Australia








No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels

Related Posts with Thumbnails