For more extensive artist's bio, articles and list of exhibitions, visit artist(s) website(s). Many of the images displayed on this site are copyrighted, and are used here only for purposes of education or critical review. All rights are reserved by the artists who created the works referenced herein.

Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks. Simonides

Jana Vodesil-Baruffi








I was born in the Czech Republic in 1957.  From childhood I developed a keen interest in art and sport.  These two interests followed me throughout my life. After finishing five years of study I graduated as an Interior designer. Drawing was part of my daily routine.

In 1981 I emigrated to Australia, and immediately became involved in art, learning copper enamelling, china painting, watercolours, and fabric printing in private studios of various artists and in technical college.

In 1987 I held my first solo exhibition of china paintings, copper enamellings and ceramics. 

In 1988 I won first prize in pastel category in both the City of Melville Art Exhibition and the Bicentennial Art Exhibition in York. 

In September 1989 I held a second solo exhibition of pastel paintings in Gomboc Gallery.

The following year I started working as a decorative artist, painting murals, trompe l'oeils, marbles, stone and other decorative finishes. I painted furniture, decorative objects, walls, ceilings, panels, wood, metal and glass, and worked in the most prestigious residential and commercial buildings in Perth, Singapore and Europe.  My work has been featured many times in magazines such as Home and Garden, The Building and Design Yearbook, The Finishing Touch and The West Australian Newspaper, and many of my articles on the subject of decorative art have been published. On several occasions I won the craftsman's awards in the Homes of the Year competitions for my murals.

In 2001 I decided to step off the ladders and scaffolds and share my knowledge of art through teaching in my studio at 24 Yampi Way in Willetton.

In May 2005 I held a solo exhibition at Atwell Gallery in acrylics, oils and pastels in a realistic and illusionist style.

In 2006 I also won the oil category of The City of Canning Art Award and was a finalist in The Shirley Hannan National Portrait Award.

In November 2006 I held solo a exhibition "Life, Death and in Between" at St. John of God Hospital in Subiaco in oils, acrylics and mixed media. This exhibition marks a change of direction in my art.

A new style which I call "Contemporary Fantastic Realism" was strongly evident in my last show "Ground Beneath My Feet" held at Linton and Kay Fine Art Gallery in 2008.
The change of direction in one's life or art doesn't usually happen without cause.

The ideas grow subconsciously in my mind for many years. In fact my first art attempts in my early teens and early twenties where of a similar vein. The fear of not being accepted and my fight for survival had recessed them back into my subconscious mind.










Instead and perhaps for good reason, I have been developing my technical skills in drawing and painting, which are seen in my realistic work. But the desire to develop my own individual art language became stronger than ever.

Changes happen due to life experiences and crisis: in my case leaving my country, home and love ones, severe illness and pain, disappointments, fear, losses and love. Perhaps the last one - love - brought it from the depth of my subconscious mind to the surface and gave it concrete shape. Contemporary fantastic realism.

Intimate love of nature and human body, their shapes and colours helps me to lead you into the world of fantasy that seems almost believable.

My mind is full of images trying to get out, like a river flowing over the banks. They come in seconds through emotional or visual stimuli and make their own rules as the work develops and my hands just merely go along and comply. Sometimes the feeling is clear, sometimes I cannot completely comprehend where this mysterious process of creation leads and almost always it is hard to verbalize. Explaining the meaning of the paintings takes the mystery away from art and the viewers imagination is immediately impaired.

It is impossible for me to ignore the influence of my extensive travel experiences and wipe out the images of the beautiful places I see. The beauty calls me to quickly capture the scene on canvas as a sort of visual diary and allows my emotional side to rest and rejuvenate. It is in this restful environment that my more representational body of works are created such as the works in my exhibition "Love Affair With Italy".

I can only hope that you are going to enjoy my paintings as much as I enjoy painting them.










No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels

Related Posts with Thumbnails