For more extensive artist's bio, articles and list of exhibitions, visit artist(s) website(s). Many of the images displayed on this site are copyrighted, and are used here only for purposes of education or critical review. All rights are reserved by the artists who created the works referenced herein.

Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks. Simonides

Dominic Avant




I have been interested in art as early as I can remember. I remember at age four getting into trouble for drawing on the walls with crayons. When I was twelve, my older sister Claudia encouraged me to attend an after school program at Rhode Island School of Design. It was my first time going to a museum and seeing original oil paintings up close. I was frozen in my tracks. I analyzed every brush stroke and color. I knew then that painting was in my veins.

I received a scholarship at the Rhode Island School of Design and completed my BFA in illustration.
After graduation I worked as a freelance illustrator and teacher. In 1996 I was recruited by Walt Disney Feature Animation. This creative community jump started my career as a painter. Since 2003, I have been painting and teaching workshops.

I mainly work in oils on figurative and landscape subjects. Because of my passion for plein air painting, I use a strong play of light and color to create drama. This impressionistic use of color and light set on my foundation of academic drawing builds a nice marriage between Impressionism and Realism.
I have become increasingly intrigued with catching the figure in natural moments. In my painting of my son Dean I was struck by a child’s fascination and peaceful innocence as he played with a green bucket in the water and sand oblivious of time. It is just this type of moment that I strive for in my figurative work. I have been doing commissions now for several years.
Whether I am doing landscape or figurative works I strive to capture the essence and the true beauty of the subject. I believe nature is our greatest teacher. My paintings are an invitation to the viewer to take part in the celebration of God’s creations.







Awards
Raymar Art Competition Finalist December 2010
Bowles Award for Portrait Excellence 2010
Raymar Art Competition Finalist April 2010
Certiificate of excellence 2009 Portrait society of America
Certificate of Excellence 2008 Portrait Society of America
Oil painters of America 2007 Best of show
Artist magazine finalist 2007 Figurative works
Articles
Fine Art Studio On Line names Dominic Avant as an artist to watch in June 2010
International Artist, December 2009
The Artist, July/August 2007








No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels

Related Posts with Thumbnails