For more extensive artist's bio, articles and list of exhibitions, visit artist(s) website(s). Many of the images displayed on this site are copyrighted, and are used here only for purposes of education or critical review. All rights are reserved by the artists who created the works referenced herein.

Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks. Simonides

Seo Young Deok




Academic Career



2010 Graduated from the department of Environmental Sculpture, University of Seoul

2010 Entered the department of Environmental Sculpture, the Graduate School of the University of Seoul







Awards 

2008 Received the Grand Prize, “The 9th National Undergraduate and Graduate Students Sculpture Competition”













Notes concerning the work



By Seo Young Deok



Until I entered university, I lived in a small, rural province. I first came to Seoul because of my entrance into college, and the city scenery at that time gave me quite a shock and even some fear. At the time, I didn’t know a single soul and everything was strange and unfamiliar. City people led different lives than the rural, countryside people. Uniformed black suits and square bags, traveling at a set time to a set destination among crowded masses..the people in these scenes struck me as zombie-like, contaminated by a virus. Now, I’m used to scenes such as this, and I, too, live following their patterns. I wonder, have I not also been infected by the city? This is the setting and the background for my current piece. 



 My work aims to reflect the disease-like contamination we experience caused by materials in our society, I hope to reveal the amount of suffering it places on the modern-day human. To express this, I utilized metal chains to create the modern man. Chains were made by our civilization and created through mass production, yet it is also just one accessory, one part in a massive piece of machinery. I considered each part of the chain a human cell and used the chains to create a human figure. Thus, this being’s form has been created in contamination by materials in our current world. Several works in this exhibition use chains as accessories to focus on man’s endless vanity and ill-judged consumption habits.



My work is a mirror to modern man. I hope one can find his or herself in these works.

2 comments:

Pravez Vohra said...

The blog is absolutely fantastic. Lots of great information and inspiration, both of which we all need. Thanks.
seo in new zealand

artodyssey said...

Thanks for yor nice words

Welcome !

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels

Related Posts with Thumbnails