For more extensive artist's bio, articles and list of exhibitions, visit artist(s) website(s). Many of the images displayed on this site are copyrighted, and are used here only for purposes of education or critical review. All rights are reserved by the artists who created the works referenced herein.

Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks. Simonides

Stephen Duren














Stephen Duren


I was born and reared in the amber light of northern California. You can see that in my painting.

Joined the navy to avoid Vietnam (that didn't work). Eighteen months as a "deck-ape" on a destroyer in the West Pacific, 13 months in Cuba (Guantanamo Bay), then finished out my four-year hitch in Italy.

Toured Europe and serendipitously stumbled upon an exhibition of Van Gogh paintings –– a religious experience for me at 23.

Headed home to pursue a "formal" art education at San Francisco Art Institute (BFA) and Sacramento state University (MA). I earned my tuition as one of San Francisco's first licensed street artists (I've got stories).












No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels

Related Posts with Thumbnails