For more extensive artist's bio, articles and list of exhibitions, visit artist(s) website(s). Many of the images displayed on this site are copyrighted, and are used here only for purposes of education or critical review. All rights are reserved by the artists who created the works referenced herein.

Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks. Simonides

Anny Maddock
















Anny Maddock


WYN ROSSOUW

I grew up in Durban in the 50's and as far back as I can remember, I have always loved drawing and painting. After completing a B.Sc Degree at the University of Kwa Zulu Natal, I moved to Cape Town where I obtained a Diploma in Medical Technology and thereafter worked for some years in the Department of Microbiology at Medical School, Cape Town. My husband and I decided to settle in this beautiful city and after many years of nurturing a young family, I have only recently been able to devote more of my time to painting and art education.

I do not have any formal art training, but am fortunate to have been guided and inspired over the years, by wonderful teachers and mentors, whose knowledge and expertise continues to influence and inspire me.

I was taught pastel painting by Lesley Charnock and oil painting by Marcelle Lyons. I also attended oil and watercolour classes with Margie Johnson. I have tried acrylic painting and have also explored the enormous possibilities in the fields of print making and etching. In addition I enjoy taking part in various workshops encompassing different media and subject matter. I also paint with a plein air group, and have attended life drawing sessions and monthly demos by Ryno Swart. All this has helped me embrace many new ideas and develop different approaches to my work.

I am greatly influenced by the Impressionist and Post Impressionist painters, the Scottish Colourists and more recent artists such as Ken Howard, Fred Cuming, John Blockley and Trevor Chamberlain. My preference is to work directly from life in oils and I particularly enjoy exploring the 'Still Life' genre.

I regularly exhibit with the Constantiaberg Art Society and the South African Society of Artists, Original Cape Art and Art Portfolio, these exhibitions usually taking place at Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens. I have also exhibited with Artists of the South, in Simon's Town. In addition, I have work in art galleries in and around Cape Town. My paintings hang in private homes in SA and abroad.

I was thrilled to be accepted for a residency at Cité Internationale des Arts in Paris, which I filled in August and September 2010 and concede that it truly was without a doubt, an amazing learning experience, which enriched my life and positively influenced my work. In September 2012 I achieved the honour of becoming a Fellow of the South African Society of Artists, an overwhelming and humbling experience. I continue to enjoy the support and encouragement of family and friends, which has made it possible for me to pursue this wonderful dimension to my life. At present I live in Bergvliet, Cape Town, with my husband and children.






















“I started drawing and dreaming before I could walk, but it took me forty years to find my artistic voice."
Anny started drawing people when she was still a toddler and excelled in art throughout her school career. After matriculating in Stellenbosch where she had studied at the PJ Olivier Art Centre, she completed a three year Fine Art course at the Cape Peninsula University of Technology.
This was followed by a year at the Cape Town School of Fashion Design and for the next few years she worked in fashion and as a textile designer. Her love of fabric is still evident in her work, where figures are sensually draped in soft and textured materials.
After branching off into numerous career and study paths such as journalism, tourism, psychology and literature, her gift for portraiture was a thread that eventually brought her back to her art at the age of forty. This was when Anny and her daughter went to live in a remote mountain village in search of a simpler, quieter life. In this close knit community, surrounded by clear rivers, majestic mountains and the numerous awe-inspiring aspects of unadulterated nature, her deep connection with mother earth developed.
Against this background her reflective nature and awareness of the human spirit was able to find expression in her pastel paintings of women. She captures that moment of stillness and introspection where the person is in harmony with all of creation. The spiritual quality that pervades her work is often subtly symbolized by the use of an empty bowl, a stone vessel holding water, a single candle or simply a cupped hand, suggesting the fullness and emptiness of life.
Anny has gained recognition in South Africa due to her unique talents and her work is sought after by both local and international art lovers and collectors.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels

Related Posts with Thumbnails